Why, oh why, did I have to mention Snowball?

So as you may or may not know I’ve been looking for a job lately, part-time, full-time, any-time really as long as it pays and I can do some decent work. Because I’ve been applying for jobs I’ve also been interviewing for jobs (yay) and just this past Wednesday I was able to interview for a really cool Proposal Specialist gig at a building company in Anchorage. I was pretty happy that I got the interview because it was a writing job. I love writing. Anyway… here’s how it went down:

8:00 – wake up, groggily because I had little sleep
8:15 – make oatmeal/blueberries for breakfast, begin eating
8:30 – decide to look up the address once more just so I know where to drive to in town
8:31 – realize that the address given to me lead me to the middle of a road, not an actual building
8:31.01 – begin to freak out, spend the next 45 minutes attempting to find out where the building is
9:15 – go out to my car, start it, plug in my Nuvi with the directions, hoping it will help. It dies.
9:15.01 – curse the nuvi to the deepest region of hell where it can “recalculate” there for the rest of its measly battery life (which is depleted anyway)
9:16 – run, like heck, back upstairs and hastily scribble the directions on paper to do it “old school” (aka, without technology)
9:30 – *finally* leave the house and begin driving to the mystery address (without finishing breakfast)
9:45 – begin cursing internally at the stupid drivers we have here
9:58 – park, run up to the building, cannot find the entrance into the freakin’ building
9:59 – get into the building, say my name and interview information, sit down… 5 minutes pass, then the interviewers walk in, shake my hand and sit down…
10:05  – “Here’s the first question. Please describe an event in which you have lost something, it’s open-ended so answer however you’d like to.”
10:06 – … (internally thinking back on my past experiences, work, volunteering, schooling, and ending up empty, while they give me a stare that could bore through the soul of an elephant)
10:07 – finally blurt out into the heavy silence – “I lost my cat!” to which they go “huh?” and I continue “my cat… he died over the summer…”
11 – after 45 minutes of questions, they shake my hand, tell me to have a good day and expect to hear from them in two weeks yay or nay.
11:05 – leave building, get into car, drive away

It was not a pleasant experience, although I did have a few high points in the interview as well so not all was lost.

I’m back on the hunt, though, searching online and in the classified sections in the paper. It’s a long process but I hope to have a job sometime soon. Maybe after the holiday rush things will be better? Who knows.

Warmest regards,


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s