It’s happened again. Like so many times before, I got caught up in writing a scene, or a page, or a chapter, that I neglected the time and when I finally looked up from my Word document it’s 9:50pm. Way past dinnertime. So, what’s a writer to make? Here are my quick and easy top five dishes to prepare when in a late-night quandary:
*note: these dishes aren’t sanctioned by any nutritionist. They are merely what I gravitate toward.
- Pasta – Yes, pasta, it’s fast and simple, throw a pot of water on the stove, wait a few minutes for it to boil, then throw the pasta in. I like mine plain with butter or olive oil, some herbs, and parmesan. But if you like sauce, just throw some in a pan and call it good. Quick & Easy Score: 8
- Leftovers – Just like the pasta, only with less variety because you probably had this for dinner the night before, just throw the leftovers in a pan (or in the microwave if you’ve got one) and heat that sucker up. Quick & Easy Score: 9
- Frozen Veggies – Don’t knock it till you try it. I’ve had many a night where it was too late to even heat things up and I just go ahead and eat the veggies frozen. I like the broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower mixture. (I’m not weird…you’re weird!) Quick & Easy Score: 10
- Baked Potato – Okay, so this one may seem weird for a late night, but think of it this way. The time it takes you to actually bake the potato (for me that’s between 20-50 minutes depending on how I prepare it) can be used to finishing up that scene! I like my potatoes to be the sweet variety, but any type of potato will do. Quick & Easy Score: 7
- Cookies – When the time ticks past ten or eleven, I just call off the dinner plans and go straight for dessert. Sure, I’ll be super hungry in the morning but I also don’t want to eat too much late at night. Bonus points if you have milk to go with it! (I’m sure you could substitute cookies with, say, an apple or some other fruit and some peanut butter—and sometimes I do!—but I have a real hankering for a cookie right now.) Quick & Easy Score: 10
So there you have it. Five quick and easy dinners for your late-night quandary after a long evening of writing. Sometimes time gets away from you, but your eating habits don’t have to suffer. (Much!)
What are some things you like to eat after your writing consumes you?