HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
So as the new year comes in with a bang, I’m reflecting on how 2017 turned out and what I’d like to do different for 2018. Honestly, 2017 was a rough year for me in many ways, but in my writing world it was pretty good. Here were some writing successes:
- Losing Hold was published in April AND nominated for two Golden Crown Literary Awards: a 2018 Goldie Award in the Tee Corinne Award for Outstanding Cover Design category and a 2018 Goldie Award in the Science Fiction / Fantasy category.
- Finding Hekate was nominated for an award: a 2017 James Tiptree Jr. Award.
- I finished the first draft of the Severed Ties and got some insightful comments back from my beta readers!
- I successfully wrote some holiday gifts for my followers: two flash fiction pieces for my newsletter subscribers, a poem for my Instagram peeps, and a short story for everyone else! The short story, A Desert Welcome, is posted on my website under the Prompt Plot 2017 Holiday Gift, so go check it out!
I want my this year to be EVEN BETTER. Here are nine writing goals to strive for:
- clean up Severed Ties early this year, come up with a different title, and submit to publishers in March/April
- write first draft of the second book of fantasy series, submit to beta readers by end of the year (shoot for October)
- plot the third book
- have a daily writing goal, depending on what I’m working on
- For revising my first novel – 1/2 chapter per night
- For plotting out my second novel – figure out at least one plot point/character/interesting per night, WritingSnippet
- For writing anything – 250 words per night
- submit to at least five literary magazines (short stories/flash fiction/poetry)
- related: get published in at least one literary magazine
- go to one writing/geeky conference as a vendor to promote my Cicatrix Duology/other writings
- go to one writing conference as a writer, to learn more things
- work on making my newsletter more exciting/engaging and build my newsletter subscribers
- Amp up my social media presence some more; have fun with it!
- do some more stuff on my website, too
SO MANY THINGS. And I’m excited for all of them. Now, time to play some games with my family and have another cup of tea. I hope your 2018 is amazing!
Happy First Day of 2018!