The end of 2019 passed by in a blur of holidays, events, and so, so many cool things.
Here are a few cool things
- Sunkissed Feathers & Severed Ties won a Rainbow Award in the Fantasy genre! I’m super honored and excited that my first dip into fantasy earned such a great award from the queer community.
- I had an amazing interview with BiCast, a bi+-centered podcast that focuses on all things geeky and bi+! I had a lovely time chatting with Elizabeth and Mick so be sure to listen to it when you get the chance.
- I participated in three more events—the Alaska Writer’s Guild diversity panel on September 21, Bosco’s Small Press Expo on October 12, and the Chugiak-Eagle River Library NaNoWriMoPrep panel on October 26. I had such a great time at all these events, and I’m excited to participate in more in the future!
- We visited our extended family over Thanksgiving—took a trip to Albany, NY, and then played tourist in New York, NY. The Rockefeller Tree lighting was seriously amazing (though standing for six hours was intense), the Strand bookstore gave me serious Powell’s vibes, and Cher sang beautifully. We also celebrated Jess’ birthday while in the city!
- ALL THE BIRTHDAYS—My sister Jess kicks off the birthday season on December 5, then Mom on December 10, then Dad on December 24, and then me on January 4. Squeeze in Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s, and it’s a seriously busy time for the Doherty family.
One HUGE Milestone for Me (aside from the awesomeness that is Sunkissed Feathers & Severed Ties, ha!): Author Events
- I never really saw myself doing events (things like speaking in conferences, sitting on panels, doing book signings) because those types of things are so far out of my comfort zone. Back in 2019, I pushed myself and did nine events for Sunkissed Feathers & Severed Ties. NINE! I honestly never thought I’d do so many, but here’s a freaking list (for my reference later on):
- May 11 – Sunkissed Feathers & Severed Ties author party
- June 20 – Mosquito Books Signing
- June 29 – PrideFestival vendor
- July 12 – UAA Bookstore author panel
- July 20 – Black Birch Books signing
- September 21 – Alaska Writer’s Guild diversity panel
- October 12 – Bosco’s Small Press Expo vendor
- October 26 – Chugiak-Eagle River Library NaNoWriMoPrep panel
- December 14 – BiCast Podcast interview
I hope to do more events this year, so if you know of any cool happenings in the fantasy, queer, or writing world, hit me up!
I have two main goals this year. Finish my current fantasy WIP (Book Two in my Broken Chronicles fantasy series) and get a full-time job in the publishing industry. Wish me luck!
I hope the start of the New Year is treating you amazingly, friends! What kinds of goals are you reaching for this year?