Finding Hekate, my science fiction book, will be set into the wild on April 8th. NEXT MONTH! I had a lovely chat with my publisher about the logistics of things on Wednesday night and we went over a bunch of marketing ideas I brainstormed. Since Desert Palm Press is a small publisher, I will be doing 90% of the marketing ideas I thought up. Authors are the Number One Champion of their book, though, so I’m more than happy to do it! Plus, this allows me to utilize the skills I’ve learned in my book publishing classes in the real world. (I admit, it’s different doing these things as an author rather than a publisher, but quite a few things transfer over.)
I’ve included my plan of attack for the next few weeks:
March Week 13th-19th
Content Creation Phase
- Social Media posts: Continuing the awareness posts, generating more, while also crafting ones to post during the launch phase
- Media Artifacts: Creating new ones, based on images or quotes from the manuscript, continuing to post the ones I created already
- Press Release
- Cool interesting ideas I could guest blog about
Writing Drafts (of Letters and stuff)
- Pitch letters to influencers: Including Facebook/Twitter posts they could share/repost, tiers of engagement
- Pitch letters to request interviews/articles
- Pitch letters to request a spot in newsletters: Accompanying newsletter blurb they can just cut/paste into their own
- (Do the work for them for influencers and newsletter peeps!)
Finishing Up The Manuscript – One Last Pass
- My publisher will get the manuscript to me on Monday, I have to go through it and double/triple check the edits
- Due back Friday at the latest
- Will try to get through it quickly so the proofreaders have more time with it
Wonder About a Launch
- Should I do a book launch or gathering? If so, where? If so, how?
- If yes: Order more paper books.
- PRINT THESE!
March Week 20th-26th
Social Media Posts
- Continue posting things on social media relating to or about the manuscript
- Including media artifacts!
- Approach bloggers to see if I can guest blog
- Approach scifi and LGBT sites to see if they’d like to do an interview or article about me
- all the things written last week (letters and such)
- Write the draft for my first newsletter
- Post about it on social media sites (“If you want to know more, sign up!”)
March Week 27th-2nd
- Social Media Posts
- Guest Blogs (followup, writing them)
- Interviews/Articles (followup)
- Newsletters burst (followup)
Refine Newsletter, Gain More People
- Wanna know more? Check out my newsletter!
- Or something like that
- Go to AWP for Ooligan Press stuff
- Also promote myself!
April Week 3rd-9th
- Social Media Posts
- Guest Blogs (any other opportunities)
Send first newsletter
- My book!
- Other cool space things.
Send influencer emails
- Send pitch letter and tweet/FB post
- Make sure the posts have a link to buy!
- will I have the link by then?
- If not, move this to Week 10th-16th
- Update website with real date/link to buy!
April Week 10th-16th
Launch? Reading? Gathering?
- If I am doing this, this is the week I’d probably get it done.
Send influencer emails (for sure)
- Link to buy!
So, yeah, this is my plan of attack for the next few weeks concerning Finding Hekate. I have so much to do, but I have to remind myself to stop and enjoy this process, too. I tend to get single-minded when my ToDo list is in front of me, but this is a huge deal for me – a dream come true! – and I have to sit with it for a bit, process it, and celebrate.
What kinds of things did you do when your book was published? Let me know in the comments!
Until next time!